Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Santa Fe

I've returned home for a week before heading back to Haiti. I hadn't intended to write while here, but today, a day I spent with clients who are refugees from Iraq, I experienced a depth to the human spirit that I am absolutely certain I cannot describe in words. I'll try.

I met with a client today who I have known for two years. After almost 12 years of working as a psychotherapist and dance movement therapist with survivors of torture, his story of torture and violence is one of the most devastating I have ever heard. We have, at times, had to work very intensively so that flashbacks and nightmares did not overtake his life. He is a very, very strong man who has lost more than I can comprehend, and who struggles here in the U.S. because our systems are sometimes unforgiving. His suffering is at times immense.

He left me a message this weekend and said "Hello I miss you where are you? Maybe you are in Haiti." I realized I had not let him know of my departure when I was hurrying to prepare for my trip and left within 48 hours notice.

I reached him yesterday and he asked "How are you? You must be tired." He asked a few questions that I realized would be better answered in person, so we scheduled a session today.

After we spoke briefly about his questions, he asked me about Haiti. He said "I cannot stay long today, I wanted to see how you are. I see you are tired."

I told him I was fine to have a full session. He looked away. When he looked back at me he said "My wife cries every time she watches the news of Haiti. Are there really so many children without parents?" I said "Yes, it seems so--it will take awhile to know for sure." He asked "have you seen these children?" When I said yes, he said "Don't you want to bring them all here?"

I said yes, that my husband and I have been trying to adopt children and would be happy to share our home with children from Haiti who may need parents now.

After a pause, he continued. "I cannot bear to think of those children. I hope you can bring some here."

Another pause. He turned away again, then looked back at me with tears in his eyes. "God must watch you closely. If you are going back there, I will ask him to take care of you. I am sure that he loves you."



No comments:

Post a Comment